Sunday, December 13, 2015

Reflection #7 : Gearing up for Mock Teaching

As this semester draws to an end, it's that time of the year once again where everyone is freaking out about assignment deadlines. And yes, I unfortunately am one of them too. This particular assignment for Pedagogy in Education scared the daylights out of me upon mention of it's dreaded name - Mock Teaching. To be frank, the whole procedure of coming up with my own lesson plans and doing a 30 minute presentation based on one of them seemed pretty incredulous. I had no experience whatsoever. When the presentation schedule came out,  I thanked my lucky stars after seeing my name under the last day. 28th December is still a long way more to go right ?

Or so I thought. My overconfidence and estimation of time left suddenly got smashed hard. Today was the first day of the Mock Teaching presentations and around 8 of my classmates presented. I have to say I was really taken aback.  I was also really surprised with my friends natural flair and charisma in teaching. It seemed like they were born to be teachers! Some of them really put in so much of effort and were really creative in coming up with a really engaging lesson - even to the extent of printing out booklet handouts and attractive hand-made posters! Madam Ng even mentioned that they were some of the best presentations she'd ever seen. (especially for Economics) Kudos to you guys!

The presenters today definitely set the bar really high for the rest of us. (thanks a lot guys jk) But jokes aside, I'm glad that in a way I got a boost to start endeavouring more for my lesson plan. I had already made up mind to base my mock teaching on 'The Phantom of the Opera'. I was a huge fan of it back at high school and I thought teaching a class on it would be a good way to show my appreciation towards this beautiful, tragic classic. I already had prepared a rough lesson plan on it, with just a few more tweaks and polishing it should be ready soon enough. 


My mantra for the next few weeks lol

My bigger worry is the actual teaching part. A few questions constantly keep pouncing in my head - what's the best way to teach it ? How do I make my class fun ? What kind of activites would my audience enjoy ? What am I gonna wear on that day?!?! (okay the last may have been irrelevant heh) And so, the research process begins. Google and Youtube never lets me down. I found all sorts of cool ideas and activities to conduct my class with. A lot of information had been sufficiently and eloquently explained as well as broken down for ease of understanding. God bless those people who made their work available online! 

If I ever gave a graduation speech, I think it would start something like that haha

I thought of making my class a little more unorthodox by also including a special game during my lesson that I think my audience would enjoy. It's a surprise though, so you will just have to come and watch me to find out ;) This assignment doesn't seem so bad anymore. Actually feeling pumped about it now haha. I will try my best to customize whatever I've gathered from the Internet to suit my own learning style and hopefully make it an enjoyable presentation. Wish me luck! 


Stay tuned guys! You definitely won't want to miss it! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment