Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Reflection #4 : Most Important Element In A Lesson Plan

This week we were assigned to create our very own (and first) lesson plan! It was to be done according to our respective individual majors. Equipped with the basics of how it should look like, we were then faced with the challenging part : the content. After quickly skimming through a couple of samples that Madam Ng had posted, we tried our luck at it and hoped for the best.

As for me, I chose to base my lesson plan on a literature component called 'The Phantom of the Opera'. I fell in love with it when I first got exposed to it in high school. It is such an epic story embellished with elements of love, mystery, tragedies, culture, drama etc. Since I had a rather enjoyable experience learning about it back in high school, I figured why not try to recreate it for others ?



I think the most important part in creating a lesson plan is the organization of the stages. It consists of 4 sections namely,

1) Duration
2) Content/Skill
3) Teacher/Student Activity
4) Rationale/ Audio Visual Aids (AVA)





I find that this is a very useful technique to prepare for a lesson. It serves as a good mental checklist to know what to expect and what needs to be delivered in terms of priority. It is quite comprehensive and meticulous as well, as it goes to the extent of coming up with sample questions and answers from the class activities. You can also envisage a rough scenario of the class and be prepared for some of the common questions the students might pose to you. Not only that, I also really like the rationale part because it really makes you think whether a certain activity can be justified and that it's not just planned out whimsically. This enables us to fully maximize the benefits we can get out of the class.

I think that's pretty much the gist of it. Please excuse the brevity of this post compared to others. We have to prepare a slideshow presentation based on our lesson plan next week and I've barely started ! :O Yikes. Wish me luck! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes it my next post. Till then, stay tuned ! :)



0 comments:

Post a Comment